Thursday 7 October 2010

Final Year Project II

A followup from my last post :)... So I had a very nice 45 min long meeting with a tentative supervisor to discuss my project. The idea that I pitched to him was a Chess game that utilises Artificial Intelligence to play against a player. I had thought of this project as sort of a last resort if all else fails (pretty clever :p). This idea actually got the tutor pretty excited and he suggested a couple of things that I could look into if I do want to go on with this project.

I was initially not too keen in doing the chess project because I think it has been done so many times that it may not impress anyone, but my tutor (it would probably be better to give his name here :)...) Alexander Bolotov (guy not a girl) reassured me that the project is complex enough to impress most people. He also suggested on creating a game engine for chess rather than the complete game and make it modular enough to be reused by other people. To be honest, I have always been intrigued by AI and this project will definately feed my curiousity but I was really hoping to do something for the developers and specific to web development. Hopefully, I will find a way to start both projects in parallel and make the browser open source with limited functionality and publish it on source forge. I will definately keep my fingers crossed and hope this will not be one of my projects I never get down to.

At this point I may have been sorted for my project but funny enough I had scheduled another meeting for the project with Sean Tohill anoth tutor of mine. This idea actually came from him and he said that it has never been done before atleast at this university. The idea was benchmarking networks. Which would mean that I would setup a small network and use skype or some other similar VoIP software to communicate internally. Then I would keep on adding load to the network and seen how good/bad the voice quality would be and so on so forth.

This idea has me a bit excited as it deals with some sort of hacking the network and causing interference and stuff. But this has also added to the difficulty of me having to chose one project.

I am taking the whole of this day to research on what each project will involve and should hopefully make up my mind on which one I should chose. Please help me make my mind by commenting on which project you would do.

2 comments:

Saurabh said...

Well well... just ensure that u don't swallow more then u chew... the prof. is right creating a game engine is better then actually creating a game.... also a network benchmark is too simple and easy for you .... BTW.. if you like algorithms...I have thought of an idea on calculating algorithm efficiency .... the application would analyse and provide optimized recommendations.... not too big in terms of code .. but requires too much of logic and analysis ... infact I had thought this as of my PhD reasearch topic .. lol..... all the best ... always available to work on AI...

Unknown said...

uuuuhhhhhh... dude will talk to you on the sly :P... btw dude someone wants to do a jave based web game and use jsp and set up a local instance of tomcat to test everything locally... how did you test your work locally???