Wednesday 6 October 2010

Final Year Project

So, its the middle of the night, I have a cold and I absolutely cannot sleep. What do I do you ask? I take out my Android phone, fire up Blogger Droid and start typing this post :).

As always a post after a long time discussing future plans of my life. As those of you who know me I am in my final year of my undergraduate degree in Software Engineering and desperately looking for a project idea that could possibly blow peoples mind and also be simple enough for me to finish over the course of this year.

I have been thinking of doing a developer tool for programmers of any platform and possibly any language could use. This got me thinking of what I have been doing over summer, which has been loads of web development and design with creating cross-browser friendly CSS, which contrary to my belief is not easy. You have to first make a base stylesheet which is compatible with your favourite browser (in my case FireFox) and code for it, then you open your second browser and check the website there and so on so forth. At the end of the day you hope to come up with code that makes the website look more or less the same throughout all the browsers and screen sizes you could get your hands on (i actually recommend using different operating systems as well cause for some reason FireFox for ubuntu doesn't render the page the same way as FireFox for Windows, who knew). So anyway after hours and hours and possibly days of tweaking a testing your finally done with the website and are happy with the way it looks and feels everywhere. After this you give your client the good news and he/she decides to check in an obsolete browser like internet explorer 6 or something and calls you back with hopefully a screens of how the page is rendering.

Know I do know that IE6 should not be supported and a lot of my friends feel very strongly about that but sometimes you just don't have a choice.

So anyway before I go on another tangent, I just got an idea of making a web browser with interchangeable rendering engines, screen simulations, OS simulations and etc. This is however just an idea and I hope to have a word with one of my lecturers tomorrow. In the meantime please leave a comment on this post with any ideas, or just anything you would like to say of my half baked project proposal. I do hope to read your comments soon.

Good night.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.2

No comments: